While watching the league playoffs, I wondered where did these guys come from? They are from different countries, ethnic groups, religions and have a wide variety of ages and physiques.
Have you read a book, or studied baseball players and baseball for a long time? Did you learn what brings one young boy up to the major leagues, while another never leaves the sand lot or little league?
IMHO here is my list. I think almost every player is missing one or two of these, but you won’t find a major leaguer with less than 80% of these attributes:
!. Strong ego- a devine belief in yourself that will persevere through any challenge, hardship, poor performance or adversity. Not to be confused with arrogant.
2a. A strong psyche- ability to think without being clouded by negative energy.
2b. Clutch- not affected negatively by external pressures.
3a. Knowledge of the game- how the pitcher will set him up, understanding of strategies, how to move runners/ where to hit the ball, opponents tendencies, etc.
3b. Team player- using knowledge of the game to his own and team’s benefit
4. Develops skills and moves to next levels of development quickly
5. Retainment of skills learned/ muscle memory- through repetition and practice
6. Desire to excel through refinement of skills/ practice
7. Impeccable fast-twitch muscle skills- superior reactions/ quick feet, hands, trunk
8 Footspeed- slow-twitch excellence
9. Incredibly accurate vision
10. Luck- The help of he right person and situation to rise from level to level from t-ball to the Hall of Fame
Note- size is NOT on this list. I played at 6’5, 230, and I really think it’s not essential. Also, I don’t think every major leaguer has all these qualities, But if I had to say which ones are most pre-eminant, I’d say
1.) fast-twitch muscle speed